Sunday, April 11, 2010

A New Genre of Music from Rehman

There's this new movie Ye Maaya Chesave directed by Gowtham Vasudev Menon. The movie and even the background score by Rehman seemed just average when I watched it on my laptop. Might be or might not be the case had I watched it on the big screen.

But after two weeks, both the visuals and the music lingered on. Typical of Rehman's music, the songs grew on me with repeated playing. My personal favourites are Vintunnava and Aaromale - Vintunnava is the usual soft romantic rendition with lots of instrumental music whereas Aaromale has an Elton John feel to it, starting with the guitar beats and melting into Hindustani later on. Even the Hosanna song is a great attempt at fusion music reminding of African music here and there.

No comments: